Most affordable Moving Costs for New York City
When you have 8 million people crammed to an area of less than 300 square miles like you do in New York City, it can make moving an extremely difficult and frustrating task. This is especially true if you don’t have professional movers like NYC Movers & Packers helping you relocate to another apartment building or home. Moving can be expensive in the Big Apple, which is why it’s always a good idea to do some comparison shopping when trying to determine the cheapest time to move to NYC or within the city.
How much does it cost to move in or to New York City?
While it’s true that New York City is one of the most expensive places to live in the US, that doesn’t have to mean that your moving expense needs to be costly as well. Just keep in mind that this is just a basic guide and that there are certain factors that influence the cost such as:
- How much is the distance you need to travel?
- What is the type of moving services needed?
- How many moving professionals will you need?
- Are there too many boxes and possessions to move?
- When do you plan on moving- summer, fall or winters?
Taking these factors and national averages into consideration, a long-distance move of 1,000 miles to New York City will cost around $5,000. However, we’ve seen some moves of between 2,500 to 3,000 miles that cost between $10,000 and $14,000. Thus, price varies. If you need to move antiques or art in climate-controlled vans, the costs will rise. If you only have a few boxes of regular household items, the costs will considerably be less as compared to moving antiques.
When moving from one studio apartment to another here in the city, it will cost between $500 and $700 whereas moving from one 3-bedroom to another 3-bedroom apartment could cost $1,500 or more. For a more accurate cost, call NYC Movers & Packers and schedule an estimate of your moving costs with one of our relocation specialists.
When is the best time to move in or to New York City and why?
Believe it or not, there is a peak moving season that can influence the cost of moving in New York City. The period between Memorial Day and Labor Day is when the weather in NYC tends to be conducive to moving. However, this is not the cheapest time to move to NYC or within the city. If you move during the off months, it will give you more flexibility when choosing a moving date. A decrease in competition is the key reason you could save on those moving costs.
Statistics show that the month of February is probably the best time to move in or to NYC if you want to save money. It’s also the best time to find an apartment and sign a lease since broker fees and rental prices tend to be less expensive during winter. Here are 3 more reasons why moving this time of year is the cheapest time to move to NYC or to another apartment in the city:
- Flexibility regarding the start of your lease – relocations that take place in the off season affords you more flexibility where your accommodations are concerned. For instance, you could sign a lease in mid-December but schedule your move in on New Year’s Day.
- More move-in incentives are offered in winter – apartment owners, landlords, and property managers have to work harder in wintertime to find tenants to fill vacancies. Consequently, they will offer incentives such as a flat-screen TV or a Home Depot gift card to compensate you for decorating your apartment.
- Opportunities for rental negotiations – when the market slows down during winter, landlords and property managers are desperate to fill vacancies. As a result, you might find rental negotiations to be easier and find a nice place for a better deal.
In a heavily populated city like NYC, there are a lot of variables that make it difficult for moving companies to operate and individuals to relocate in or out of the city. Let NYC Movers & Packers help you with planning your move and determining the cheapest time to move to NYC. We know that planning and implementation can be a hit and miss when you do it alone. That is why it is better to save on both time and money by working with our company.
If you are looking for a FREE quote, give us a call and schedule an in-house estimation after which a written quote will be provided. This will ensure that you get the best prices when you move. To speak with a moving and relocation specialist to learn more about moving in or to New York City, call NYC Movers & Packers today.